In 1983, the Legislature created the VLB Veterans Housing Assistance Program (VHAP), to aid Texas Veterans in purchasing a home. Eligible Texas Veterans have an opportunity to purchase a home with a competitive, low-interest loan with little or no down-payment. Veterans, military members and their spouses may receive up to $424,100 on a fixed-rate loan for 15, 20, 25 or 30 year terms*. Veterans with a VA service-connected disability rating of 30% or greater qualify for a discounted interest rate.
To qualify, homes must meet the following requirements:
- Home must be the veteran’s primary residence in Texas
- Home must be a single family attached or detached home, town home or condominium
- Duplexes or other multi-family units must have been constructed at least five years prior to the closing date of the loan
- New homes must have either ENERGY STAR certification or HERS Index score of 75 or less
- The home must remain as the veteran’s primary residence for at least three years, and the Veteran borrower must occupy the home within 60 days after loan closing.
The VLB does not offer refinancing. If you have an existing loan on your home, the VLB cannot provide refinancing to lower your interest rate, nor can the VLB home loan program be used for a down-payment on a home.
The VLB home loan program provides Veterans with loans, where VLB is in first lien position of the primary residence. It’s possible for a veteran to have one active loan in each program — land, home, and home improvement — at the same time.
Once a Veteran, or his or her successor, has successfully paid off a VLB home loan s/he may obtain another VLB home loan. The same applies to our land program. All VLB programs are self-funded, using no public taxpayer funding. VLB programs are financed with bonds, which are serviced by loan payments from Veteran participants.
*All VLB interest rates and available discounts are subject to change at any time. VLB Base Rate is subject to adjustment on the first business day of each week. All VLB loans are subject to credit approval.
To be eligible for VLB programs, Veterans, military members and their spouses must be:
- At least 18 years of age
- A bona fide and legal resident of Texas on the date of application and meet one of the following service An active duty military memberA member of the Texas National GuardA reserve component military member having completed 20 qualifying years for retirementA Veteran having served at least 90 active duty days unless discharged sooner due to service connected disability and not discharged dishonorablyA surviving spouse of a Veteran listed as missing in action or whose death was service connected
- Broker Associate, ABR, CRS, GRI, VLB
- Century 21 Randall Morris & Associates
- 3400 E Central Texas Expressway Suite 107
- Killeen, Texas 76543
254 681 5115